Friday, May 30, 2008

shrinking fibroids while pregnant and TTC

I just wrote this info in response to a comment on an earlier post, thought I would share it here so everyone sees it.

Trying to shrink your fibroids while pregnant or TTC is not easy because many of the main fibroid shrinking methods are contraindicated during pregnancy (including 2 weeks after ovulation/intercourse when you may be pregnant but don't know for sure).

1. Chinese herbs that are "blood breakers" are contraindicated
2. Castor oil packs are contraindicated
3. Enzymes such as serrapeptase, nattokinase, etc. including Fibrovan, Vitalzym etc. are contraindicated
4. Strong detox herbs, and doing any kind of detox, are contraindicated
5. Tumeric is contraindicated.
6. Vitex or other things that work on your hormone level would be contraindicated

That doesn't leave you with much.

You can ask your practiioner if there are any Chinese herbs that would be helpful and that you could take while pregnant. Homeopathy is also supposed to be safe if you are pregnant so I would ask a practioner about that.

I have also read that red raspberry leaf, burdock, and dandelion are ok during pregnancy, as is eating lots of seaweed, but then again while helpful these may not be enough to shrink fibroids. (also about red raspberry leaf, I have had different opinions about it from acupuncturists, current one is against it so I am avoiding)

My gyn says that some women have trouble-free pregnancies even with fibroids. So that holds out hope.

Even though I was recently ok'd for TTC as I mentioned in a recent post, just found out that my fiancee's sperm needs some work. So while he deals with that, I am taking two more months to do a big fibroid-shrinking push with the strong herbs and enzymes in combo. Then, when I start TTC I will be doing my fibroid shrinking remedies only first 2 weeks of cycle when there is no chance that I'm pregnant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Wow, what an amazing blog this is. I have had a fibroid for many years now, but since it was only growing about a cm year, my doctor told me not to worry about it. So I didn't, until this year when I found out that it had grown almost 4 cm to a grand old size of 11cm. That was the kick that I needed to get myself to a naturopath, who promptly told me to get myself off of the birth control pill ( I have been on it for 20 years, another thing my doctor repeatedly told me "not to worry about") and put me on some serious acidopholis. I now that is just the beginning, but I'm glad to finally have a plan instead of being in limbo-ignorant bliss-whatever you want to call it. I started looking online and have found a lot of information on shrinking fibroids naturally, but nothing as extensive as your blog. I am so thankful to have your progress to read about and feel that it is possible to take charge of this thing and help myself to be rid of it. Good luck, and thanks for sharing.
Danielle

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Hi Danielle,

Thanks so much for the kind comments and I am so glad that you are finding this blog helpful!

It makes me so frustrated that most doctors are so ignorant about fibroids. I read the National Uterine Fibroid Foundation yahoo group listserv and there are so many stories about how birth control pills are bad for fibroids. So glad that you are seeing a naturopath and that you have a plan. Lots of luck in your fibroid shrinking!!!

Anonymous said...

I was on the pill for 10 years and now I found out I have a 10 cm fibroid. I have been off the pill for over a year and a half though. While I was taking it I repeatedly asked my doctor if there was any drawback to being on it so long and he repeatedly told me no. He told me there were no risks to being on the pill for any length of time.

After being diagnosed with the fibroid last Tuesday I asked if there was anything I should be doing/not doing and eating/avoiding and again he said no. I see him again on Friday and he already told me he will probably just be referring me to a gyn.

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Ugh. How frustrating! On the National Uterine Fibroid Foundation listserv, I have seen many stories like these of people whose fibroids grew quickly while on birth control pills. Not surprising, since the pills affect one's hormones.
Hope you can find a doctor to work with who has more information about fibroids. Good luck!