Monday, March 16, 2009

goji berries and GoChi juice

I've written previously about how goji berries are a good snack food for fibroid shrinkers, due to their high nutrient content, including amino acids and iron which we particularly need. Then when I read in The Tao of Fertility that goji berries can improve egg quality, well that really got my attention.

However, even though they have an interesting flavor, and I eat them raw and throw them into various dishes (crisps, stews, salads...) it's rather difficult to eat very many of them. They are just too intense tasting.

Then my husband's sperm tests shows that his sperm are not as spunky as we would like them to be. My acupuncturist recommended goji berries, which are traditionally used in Chinese medicine to help fertility in both men and women, and in men specifically to strengthen the sperm and help with impotence.

She also suggested to for both of us to try GoChi juice, which she feels is an excellent way to get more goji into your system. Um wait, I said, no way, not that GoChi juice that one of my relatives has been pushing?! I tend to be skeptical of any product sold through multi-level marketing, but my acupuncturist said no, it's really great, you should get some.

So, my husband and I delighted our relative and ordered some, and we have been diligently drinking little shot glass size portions of it twice a day for the past 8 weeks or so. I never eat dessert anymore so it's a sweet little dessert substitute for me.

It's too soon to tell whether it's helping my husband's sperm, or my eggs (guess we'll never really know on the eggs, but it can't hurt...). However, I can tell you that although previously he had been exhibiting some performance issues at our important monthly fertile-period time for TTC, now he is downright perky! A huge change and I think it's probably thanks to the GoChi.

A lot of the info on the health benefits of goji berries is from people who are selling goji products, I thought this summary was a helpful one and seemed unbiased.

Update, I have now switched to Goji Gold, which I think is better because it's 100% goji juice and is organic.

13 comments:

Jet said...

Have you tried the mangosteen fruit?

http://mangosteenjuicetestimonials.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/mangosteen-juice-testimonials-for-effects-on-uterine-fibroids-1/

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Thanks for mentioning this. No, haven't tried that one yet.
I looked around on the internet and didn't see much evidence on mangosteen other than the one you site. I guess I feel like I have enough antioxidants right now with the goji and everything else I take. (also there are only so many of these things I can afford!)

Double checked just now to confirm that, and did turn up another goji anecdote though. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101113115AAwWM28

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was looking for some info on gogi juice and I came across your blog. Just for your interest, I am nearly 41 and have just achieved my first pregnancy on my first month of trying. (We tried the month before but only sort of....) The diet I followed might be of interest to you...it worked for me! 1.5 litres grapefruit juice daily plus 2-3 tablespoons of the following : spirulina, maca, 'vital greens', flax oil, bee pollen, tahini.The grapefuit juice increases progesterone in the body and Vitamin C. Also herbs, dong quai, B6, vitex, aspirin. EPO. I kinda took mega doses of these (not the aspirin). That is basically all i ate....it is very filling, with a bland vege soup for dinner. Very strict on no gluten, dairy or soy. (I have avoided these for some years anyway) Also 1.5 litres of water daily. Also hot water bottles every few hours, everyday to tummy, kidneys and feet to improve circulation. 5 mile walk everyday. 20 mins direct sunlight to tummy. BBT monitoring. I also drew pictures of my self preggers - visualisation - and put them on a vision board where I work, thinking on this everyday. I think having a clean body, superfoods, being super hydrated, de-stressing, and good circlulation is the key...eat less, put in superfoods! Try it - maybe it's just luck or maybe it's a winning formula. Good Luck to you! Now the scary part begins for me....having the baby!!.....

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Thanks so much for sharing your formula! And congratulations on your pregnancy. That is so inspiring! Lots of great ideas in here for all of us!

Therese said...

This is a great blog with fantastic holistic-based info. I've had fibroids for the past 3 yrs and have been scouring alt. health remedies. I just started taking supplements and have heard about the general health benefits of Goji juice in the past, but not in relation to fibroids. I need to start drinking Goji juice. Thanks for the info!

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Thanks so much and I'm glad you are enjoying the blog!

Goji Berries Juice said...

hanks for publishing the benefits of the Goji Berry. I have been sharing this information with people ! Wonderful berry!!!!!!!! Create A Great Day!

Fibroid Shrinker said...

You're welcome!

Goji berries said...

Goji berries are gaining a lot of popularity due to their endless benefits. Some people like to eat dried goji berries while others like to have in the juice form. If you are wondering how to grow goji berries, read the following tips and grow them without any hassles.

Goji berries said...

I think we're all at a point where we seriously need to start considering growing our own food. Kitchen gardening is possible all year round! You can grow many veggies and herbs right in your own kitchen, regardless of your cold climate and lack of outdoor garden space. Here you can grow Goji Burries.

Goji berries said...

How to make Agave & Goji Granola

You can use any kind of nuts and berries that you like. Or add any kind of seeds. I use agave nectar because I am vegan but honey can be substituted if you do not abstain from animal products.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix rolled oats, wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, and almonds together.
Pour in oil then agave nectar.
Bake for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
Remove from oven then mix in dried fruit.

Fibroid Shrinker said...

thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy!

Himilayan Goji Juice said...

I just now planned to remark your blog and say we seriously enjoyed studying your blog write-up right here as Order Goji Juice. It turned out incredibly informative and i as well get and the choice of write! Thanks and Soon we will be back to study far more shortly partner