Tuesday, May 20, 2008

dangers of bisphenol A

Just got some excellent information from a comment on the last post, and wanted to share it with everyone.

For a long time I have been avoiding using plastic to store food, opting for glass containers instead. And avoiding drinking water out of plastic bottles. Plus I have been meaning to write an entry about how most canned food tastes funny to me, including the organic Whole Foods brand tomato paste, and that the Muir Glen brand which has an enamel lining tastes much better and feels like it must be healthier.

Some of this has been based on things I have read, and some has been just my own intuition. It's caused some friction in my family -- for example once when I was eating at her house my mom was really upset when I refused to eat something she had microwaved in a cheap plastic container.

Now here is more evidence that danger lurks in these food containers, specifically something called bisphenol A. Here is an article that describes the problem, specifically mentioning uterine fibroid risk. And here is another article that talks about which containers to avoid.

Something else for us fibroid fighters to be vigilant about!

No comments: