Saturday, October 23, 2010

water woes -- acidic reverse osmosis water

Thinking that we were doing the best thing for our health, we got a reverse osmosis water filter for our kitchen sink.  However, it turns out that the water from it is acidic, which poses its own problems.

This article gives a good overview of the plusses and minuses of reverse osmosis. This article is basically negative. This article gives an overview of the different types of filtering, and the pH issues.  This article is an even better overview of different filter types, and has some particularly scary info on reverse osmosis systems.

I currently am using Concentrace drops to add back the minerals that have been taken out of the water by the filter.  However, that isn't enough to make the water alkaline, so I'm worried that we still don't have ideal water.  (Plus the fact that my persnikety husband refuses to use the drops!)

So now I'm looking for another solution.  Here's a Yahoo answer on the topic, which is interesting.  What it refers to is reverse osmosis filters that have an extra filter for remineralization, like this one or this one or this one.  I guess we should have gotten one like that in the first place, but unfortunately did not.  Or we could replace or supplement our current filter with a water ionizer, like this one, that filters and then makes the water alkaline.  However these water ionizers look fishy to me and here's a page that debunks the chemistry behind them.  (Although I have to say I disagree with it saying that drinking acidic water is ok, that just doesn't make sense to me at all.  Here's the Mayo Clinic on alkaline water but they don't talk about acidic water.)

The other possibility is to get some alkaline booster drops to add to our water such as Alkalife, Alkazone, pHion Booster, Alkavision, or Body Rescue.  It's my bedtime now, so whether these drops are the best choice for us, and which one of them are best, is a question for another day.

No comments: