Wednesday, February 6, 2008

lycopene for fibroids

I stumbled across this study which suggests that lycopene may be helpful for shrinking fibroids.

The study was done on Japanese quail (which evidently are good for studying fibroids because they get something similar to fibroids naturally). And this page shows that study is now being done on humans! Wow, someone actually doing research on fibroids!

But I'm not waiting for the study to be completed. Bring on the lycopene! However, I prefer to eat nutrients in their natural form rather than as a supplement, so instead of popping pills I am including tomato paste and other tomato foods in my diet.

This page lists good sources of lycopene. If you don't like tomato products, watermelon, guava, and pink grapefruit are good choices. The best source evidently is vegetable juice. If you want a change from V8 and have a Japanese grocery store near you, I suggest that you try Itoen's Ichinichi Bun no Yasai (A Day's Worth of Vegetables). (The link I just put there is in Japanese, but you can use the picture shown to identify the distinctive bottle). It's similar to V8 but with less tomato and more carrot and red pepper, and tastes delicious. In addition to drinking it, I like to use it as soup stock.

No comments: