Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mindfulness Meditation for Stress Reduction

I had my first session tonight of the Mindfulness Meditation for Stress Reduction class that I am taking at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation. http://www.pamf.org/mindfulness/

Although I had never heard of it before I ran across it by accident searching the net, evidently this is a famous course that is taught across the country at many medical centers. It was originally created at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, by the founder of their Stress Reduction Clinic, Jon Kabat-Zinn.

Several things about it appeal to me. I need to do something about how I respond to the stress in my life, and it sounds like this course is really chock-full of techniques. Also it's tailor made for people who have part of their stress coming from a medical condition, and whose medical condition possibly is a result of stress (which may be the case with the fibroids). And most appealing, it works -- a bunch of clinical studies have been done that document that this course gets results. So this isn't just any meditation course, it's the Cadillac of meditation courses!

The class description I gave you the link to above is not very detailed, here are a couple of others that give more details about this approach:
http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/whatMBSR.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

We're really just getting started with the course so it's hard to talk about results yet but it looks like it's going to give me a lot of good input. It is a big commitment though -- it's expensive and we have to do homework every day, optimally 45 minutes worth!

In case you want to try this on your own, we got as a text Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living and a CD Guided Mindfulness Meditation.

Although I can't find any very specific information, lots of people mention that meditation is helpful fibroids, we'll see!

No comments: