Sunday, January 17, 2010

link between generic mutation and fibroids

When I was in Chicago recently, I saw an ad for a chiropractor/acupuncturist who listed fibroids as one of the things he specializes in. 

I decided to look at his site, and found a well-put-together discussion of fibroids and how he treats them.  Wish I had found him back in 2004 when I was living in Chicago and found out I had fibroids!

Most of it is familiar info but found something new to me and very interesting.  He gives a detailed discussion of estrogen metabolism, and mentions the role of B vitamins like folic acid. He mentions that some people have a genetic problem that interferes with their ability to absorb folic so he prescribes methylated forms. The implication is that people who have this genetic defect and don't take the methylated forms are going to have trouble with estrogen metabolism. 

The genetic problem he is referring to is MTHFR, and the reason I know that is that I have it, I was tested for it last spring.  It's discussed in the book Is Your Body Baby-Friendly?: Unexplained Infertility, Miscarriage & IVF Failure - Explained and Treated.

However, never before had I realized that there might be a link between this genetic defect and my fibroids.  A big eye-opener for me.

This makes me think, if you have fibroids it would be a good idea to get tested and see if you have MTHFR. 

No comments: