Sunday, November 23, 2008

tea alternatives

As I wrote in an earlier post, fibroid shrinkers should avoid tea, coffee, and chocolate -- not just due to the caffeine, but due to the methyl-xanthines that can promote fibroid growth.

That makes hot drinks challenging, especially now that it's getting chilly outside and something warm really hits the spot.

I've mentioned previously that I'm a fan of Vanilla Hazelnut Dessert Tea by Celestial Seasonings, which is particularly good for fibroid shrinkers not only because it lacks regular tea but because it has milk thistle and cinnamon. And because it's delicious!

But no matter how good something is, there is only so much you can drink of it. So I discussed with my acupunturist what else I could put in my hot beverage lineup.

One suggestion was rooibos tea, which is free of caffeine, is full of antioxidants, and has other health benefits. The problem is, I don't paticularly care for the taste.

However, I've found two kinds that work well. One is Zhena's Gypsy Tea in Red Lavender in which the lavendar flavor nicely covers the rooibos. The other is Numi Green Rooibos , which is more mellow because it's green. I'm enjoying both of these a lot.

My acupuncturist also urged me to try the coffee substitute Teeccino, which she called "tonifying." It seems to have various health benefits, including being alkaline which is helpful for fibroid shrinkers. I got some of the Hazelnut and will let you know how it is. (In order to make it I also needed to get a French coffee press.) It has almonds and figs in it, sounds yummy!)

No comments: