Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fresh Choice

Last time I went to one of those salad bar restaurants, it seemed like all they were pushing was bread, pizza, pasta and sweet desserts, and that the salad was almost an afterthought. So I had resisted my husband's suggestions that we try Fresh Choice, a chain with outlets here in California as well as Texas and Washington State. But today, fresh back from a business trip and too tired to shop or cook, I said ok.

To my pleasant surprise, it ended up being a good place for fibroid shrinkers. My husband called first and was told that 61% of their food is organic, and signs in the store show that much of it is locally sourced. I started with a bean soup, then a big salad with beets and daikon. Instead of salad dressing I dumped a lot of salsa on top, which worked well and cut out a lot of fat. I had some saffron rice with the pomodoro pasta sauce on top, squash ratatouille and a baked sweet potatoe. We got a piece of Alaskan wild salmon for an extra $1.99. A nice selection of fresh fruit too. Overall plenty of vegetarian and vegan choices. There was still a lot of pasta and bread and sweets, but I found it easy to overlook them with so many other selections.

At just under $10 per person before the salmon, easy on the pocketbook too.

No comments: