Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hoop Dance (hula hooping) -- perfect exercise for shrinking fibroids?

I have to give him credit for this one -- it was my boyfriend's idea. As I tried to describe to him about blood stasis and how I have to get my blood moving in my pelvis, and how belly dancing and qi gong would help with that, he suggested "Well, if you need to get your hips going, how about a hula hoop?"

He was half-joking, but when I looked into it I discovered that hula hoops are enjoying a resurgence, under the new moniker of "hoop dance."

I promptly bought a hoop last weekend and have been having fun with it ever since. I have not yet had a chance to buy an instructional DVDor go to a class, but even without those it's not hard to keep the hoop going around my hips.

This many rotations of the hips have just got to be good for increasing pelvic blood flow. Indeed, on the website of the manufacturer of my hoop, they talk directly how using the hoop is good for the reproductive organs, and the creators are a naturopath and an acupuncturist who specializes in fertility. So my boyfriend's intuition seems to have been right on the mark!

Another benefit -- it's super convenient -- even on days when I don't have time for more exercise, I can grab ten minutes with the hoop and feel like I have done something both relaxing and useful. I have also discovered that it is possible to use it while talking on the phone, so this could be a good way of working some exercise into what otherwise would be a sedentary activity.
In order to hoop all you need is a hoop. However don't use the kid's kind, they are too small and light. I got mine at Elephant Pharm, a store near me -- I got the Therahoop and it's available to be ordered on this page.

A fibroid-fighting activity that is truly fun!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tip. Went to my hula hoop exercise class on Monday. Wasn't very good but love it so much that I brought my own hoop and now will hula hooping whilst watching TV. Now that's my kind of exercise!

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Glad you're enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I - too- just purchased a hula hoop and I am enjoying the benefits. I have fibroids and hope that "hooping" every day will help reduce them. I hoop about 2 hours a day. I'll let you know the results.

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Wow, 2 hours a day, good for you! Let us know what results you get!

Anonymous said...

How did it go? Any luck shrinking the fibroids?

Anonymous said...

Not just hula hooping, but actual Hawaiian hula dance is good too. I have fibroids and have been doing Hula since last summer and I find it's helped me greatly. I practise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes. I hear that Middle Eastern/Belly dance is good, too. Healthful and fun :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend,


This is the marvellous post that I have come over after huge searches. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information.


Thanks,
Diana Lopez
Kids Hula Hoops

Unknown said...

Maca root also is great for fertility and dissapears the fibroid my personal experience.

Fibroid Shrinker said...

Unknown, thanks much. How big was your fibroid and how much maca did you take?