Friday, February 15, 2008

Yoga specifically for fibroids

I picked up the quirkily-titled book Yoga for a Healthy Menstrual Cycle and got a terrific surprise -- a yoga routine designed especially for fibroid-fighting! There was also general text about dealing with fibroids, from a yoga/ayurvedic point of view.

Also in the book are yoga routines to do when you have PMS, during your period, and during your period when your flow is heavy. Several of the poses specifically are about increasing circulation to the pelvic area.

This book is Iyengar style yoga, which means you need props. This ended up being a bit of an investment, as I bought a yoga bolster, two yoga blankets, two blocks, a strap, and a sandbag. I probably could have gone with another bolster but I made do with some stuff I had lying around.
Also for those of you who do yoga, there were some good suggestions in this book about what yoga poses to avoid during your period. No inversions, as they interfere with the way the blood should be flowing.

2 comments:

L.A. Realtor said...

thank you, have you found this helpful for fibroids? I'm looking for solutions.

Fibroid Shrinker said...

To be honest I haven't been consistent enough with this specific sequence of poses to be able to say whether it's efficacious in and of itself.
This is a good reminder to me to use this book more, thank you!